Sunday, February 8, 2009

Holes in your bluejeans, storage bulilding, and such...




Well, it has been a long week...we are so tired around here, and ready for all the little projects to be done! (of course I know they are never all really done) Kole has been up 3 or 4 times every night with his ears again, and Karleigh had one really bad night this week. Jason is working late with his baseball team every night because the first game is coming up Feb. 25. Every weekend lately has been full of projects. We finished the garage room and started a foundation for the storage shed in the backyard (well, not we, Jason). This weekend my dad came up to assemble the shed. They got started about 10AM on Saturday morning, and at 10:30 PM they finally quit ( I think they were exhausted). Dad slept on the couch and Catherine, who was tagging along, slept out in the garage room on the new futon. This morning we were up by 7:30 the kids and I went to church while Dad and Jason finished the shed with 10 million little screws! It looks really good if I do say so myself...all I did was hold a few pieces of metal in the crazy wind while the men screwed it to the frame! I guess thanks go out to everyone who helped this project come to an end! (Brother Bud, Dad, Jason, and neighbor Tony who helped carry the 400 pound box to the back yard the day the "free shipping to your house" truck decided they couldn't get down our road and delivered it to Dover instead!) I also should say thanks to Jeff, my brother in law because he volunteered to come and help with the shed, but when my sister came down with the flu this weekend he stayed and let her get some rest...and that's where he should have been! (get well soon Diana!)


I also wanted to add that I avoided buying new jeans for Karleigh this week by doing something that really reminded me of something my mom would have done. Karleigh has been coming home from school with holes in the knees of all of her jeans...I have NO idea what's going on...but I was thinking I would have to break down and buy new jeans here at the end of winter. Well, I had a brain storm. I went to Wal Mart and bought iron on patches ( I never took home ec to learn to sew) and I also bought some cute colorful material and some little buttons. I came up with some jeans that Karleigh absolutely LOVES!!! I know one day she'll look back and think I mistreated her by making her wear them, but right now she thinks they are cool stuff! Now, she wants all of her jeans patched this way. I was pretty proud of myself...let's just see if it all stays together through all of her crazy playing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the pants turned out great, but one secret to hiding something that can't be easily hidden is to confuse the eye with more of what you're trying to hide, rather than less. So, you'd integrate patches into the decoration of the jeans in places where there aren't holes that need patches. Then, people would just think it was a theme of your design and that the patches had nothing at all to do with fixing holes.

Kaye Butler said...

How cute! I used to make all of the girls clothes, up until the 4th grade.

You did great!

Ben and Bethany said...

love the jeans! I know Karleigh does too :) Sure do wish we could have been there to help with the building ...ben loves doing that kind of stuff.